‘Twas the Night Before PodCampNashville10 (#pcn10)
No, no sappy Christmasy rhymes tonight. I’m getting my gear bag together for PodCampNashville tomorrow at the Cadillac Ranch and thought I’d lay down some tips for any newcomers to the podcamp scene (trust me, I’ve done more than my fair share. I guess that makes me a “podcamping expert” *shudder*)
1) Leave your expectations at the door.
If you’ve never been to one of these, come in with an open mind. There will be coders, PR hacks, designers, tech geeks, and other strange anomalies, but we’re all here for one thing: to have fun and to network (ok, so that’s two things). Get ready to meet lots of like minded people and pass out business cards.
2) Remember the Rules of Podcamp.
First rule of Podcamp – you don’t talk about Podcamp.
Wait, that’s not right.
Here are the real first rules to remember:
- Everyone’s a rock star. There are no keynotes and no digital dignitaries. We’re all learning, and we’re all teaching.
- Law of two feet – if you don’t like what you’re hearing, or you’re bored out of your mind, leave. Not the conference, mind you, but find another room that talks about what you want to hear about. No one will be upset.
- If none of the rooms interest you, may I suggest the “hallway track”? Catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and just eavesdrop on what people are chatting about. Chances are something may peak your interest.
- Bring something to take notes, video, and pictures with. Yes, I said and. You’ll be on information, and new person, overload by the time it’s all over, so get ready to have trouble remembering who that one dude was or what’s-his-name with the spiky hair and bandana.
3) Bring Stuff
I’m actually breaking my own rule here. I didn’t order business cards in time (doh!) so i’m on a skeleton supply, but that doesn’t mean that I won’t be giving the few I have out like candy. For everyone else, I’m taking down email addresses and getting them my info that way. Here are some other things you may want to consider bringing:
- Power Strip
- Extension Cord (those two will make you the popular kid in the room)
- Alternate Internet source (if you have it, because sometimes the Internet just goes down)
- Bottle of Water
- Notebook (the paper kind)
- Notebook (the digital kind)
- iPhone or SmartPhone (no iPad jokes, please)
So, come tomorrow ready to learn, have a good times, and drink a little beer too (thanks Yazoo!)